Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Almost There............

I know it has been just over a month since my last entry, but I've been bound and determined to get this garden looking good and ready for blooming this year.  And now I'm within days to finishing up at least for the first half of the year.  I will still have plenty to do in the fall for preparation of next year.
 
So if you refer back to my first post, you will see what I started with this year and in that month and a half since then I've gotten to this point. 
 
 
 
 
 
June 14, 2014
 
Granted most of the garden is under black plastic, but this is part of the garden that is being prepped for next spring.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with those sections so instead of watching the weeds grow and creating extra work for me, I just decided to cover them in plastic which will in turn burn any weed seeds that are there.  In the fall I will be tilling all of those sections.
 
My 2 dogwood trees, eastern redbud and my 3 brandywine viburnum all did not make it.  I had really hoped they would, but I think the winter was too harsh for them.   I did replace the eastern redbud with 2 more.  These are much taller about 6-7 feet and did have buds on them as seen below.
 
 
 
I think these 2 trees will have a much better chance of survival than the last one.  As of today they are doing just great!
 
After a lot of research I don't think I will be replacing the Brandywines, because they may not do will in my neck of the woods here in Maine.  Although I did notice we got a shipment of them at work.  So maybe in the fall if they are still there I may give them another try.
 
As far a my 2 dogwoods, will still thinking about that too.  I did plant one in the front yard last fall and doing great, but not sure what happened with the other 2. 
 
So for the next couple of weeks I will be posting what I've done with the garden and what's been planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, suggestion or advice. Happy Gardening!!