Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Garden Update

May 2nd - May 9th
 
I only had a few hours in the garden Friday due to appointments in the morning.  I did finish cleaning and covering the veggie garden area.  I also had an area where the roses and peonies will create a border that needed covering.
 
Working this weekend.  So I hope to be back in the garden Monday or Tuesday.  I have a little more that half a garden left to clean up.
 
Saw some peonies, sedum, daisies and Siberian irises starting to pop through.  Blueberries are starting to bud as well.  The lilacs look like they will have many blooms this year.  When they are finished blooming there will be some serious pruning to be done.
 
 Monday morning I was at it again.  Cleared some more space and even found an iris.  I also noticed in the back field my lupine are starting to spread out.  Can't wait to see what colors come up.  Blackflies are coming out too so I need to order some Skin So Soft from Avon.  This stuff works like a dream!   I spray myself all good and I'm good all day!  Great stuff it is!

Tuesday I didn't get much done because my hands were quite sore.  I have some arthritis in my hands and when I over do it they get sore.

I did notice my coneflowers, blue flax, delphiniums, sea holly,  black eyed susan Irish spring, lady's mantle and yarrow are all working their way back.
 
 
Rudbeckia hirta "Irish Spring" 
Black Eyed Susan Irish Spring
 
May 10th - 14th
 
Things are moving a little slower than I anticipated.  But I did order some mulch which I'm expecting on Wednesday.

As I had mentioned earlier that I think this year it will be mostly prep work and next year will be the year for some real planting.

Well I didn't get any forsythia blooms which was a little disappointing.  I'm also very close to losing my Redbud and 2 Dogwoods.  I will be mulching them as soon as I get my mulch and provide them with a boost of composted manure to help out along with a good drink of water.  I may not have any peaches this year either.  We had a really harsh winter as did most of us and I think that took quite a toll on some of my newer plants. 

There is some good news though.  I thought for sure I would lose my roses, but they are coming back nicely!!  They are Floribunda roses which are a bit hardier than Hybrid Teas.  One is Julia Child Floribunda and the other is Angel Face Floribunda
 
Today I managed to plant 3 Brandywine Viburnums.  They didn't get into the ground last year, because I bought them late in the season and when I finally had time I thought it was too risky, although it was risky leaving them in the pots over the winter.  I did keep them outside very close to the house on the west side.  They haven't had any kind of budding action yet, but I did check to see if there was still green in the stems and there is.  So I'm hopeful.  I gave them a healthy dose of composted manure and water.  Tomorrow when the mulch arrives they will be covered with that.
 
I also cleaned up my peony garden and added some supports.  Mostly in case of rain so they won't flatten out.  I love my peonies and I will be the first to tell you I'm terrible at deadheading.  So in the spring I have many new peonies although I have learned they don't resemble there parents at all.  I've got to learn to deadhead!  I will be adding mulch to them tomorrow too.
 
Some other interesting garden friends I've been seeing the past couple of weeks are just today in fact I saw a gardener snake...not poisonous, but just the same I'll stay away.  In fact an interesting little story about our snake and a mourning dove (male).  The snake was creeping near the bird feeder and the dove spotted it and started flaring up his wings as a way to make himself look bigger to the snake.  Although I don't think the dove has anything to worry about as he as far too big for the small snake (12").  It was just interesting to see.
 
Also visiting were many Red Winged Blackbirds, Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, Sparrows, Goldfinches, House Finches, Hairy Woodpeckers, Grackles and of course our regular Red Squirrels.  The Tree Swallows are taking up residency at the birdhouses I have in the garden.  And on the front porch our Eastern Phoebe has returned to her nest and has 5 eggs.
 
Garden Quote.........
In my garden there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful.  
                                  ~Abram L. Urban
I'll be back in a few weeks with another update and hopefully some photos to show my progress. 
Until then Happy Gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, suggestion or advice. Happy Gardening!!