Thursday, May 1, 2014

Welcome!

Welcome to My Garden Journal! 
 
A little bit about me.  I'm a avid photographer who particularly enjoys photographing flowers, but I also photograph whatever catches my eye.  I've always had great fun being in the garden, but I have failed many times in the design aspect of it.  After 10 years of trying different designs and planting many, many plants.  I think I've finally found a design plan that will make me happy. 
Why you say did it take me so long.  Well my photography took a lot of my time and after several years of trying to make it a full time job, it didn't work out and I needed to get a so called real job to help with the bills.  Well that real job has really taken me to the next level of my gardening.  I'm working at the wonderful garden center at Home Depot.  It's so much fun to educate my customers and help them with their gardening needs.  After being there a year now and learning so much, I've also come to realize that since folks are looking to me for advice that I had better be prepared to give them the right advice.  I've always been one to educate myself and do projects on my own so I can educate my customers at what ever job I'm at.  So with the help of my job, some magazines and Pinterest.  I was able to create a design that I really hope will work out.
 
In my new garden design there will be a vegetable garden, blueberries, butterfly and hummingbird, sunflower, peony and rose garden.  Living in Maine the rose garden will be the most challenging, but if I do it right I should be able to have roses for many years to come.  Sounds like a lot and quite frankly it is, but I'm determined to have the garden I want with as little maintenance as possible. 
 
The design of the entire garden reminds me of a church window. 

 
I know it's kinda hard to tell with this photo and there still is a lot of cleaning to be done.  Unfortunately Spring isn't getting here quite so quickly this year.  Still in the 50's when is should be in the 60's.  But while waiting and in between rain drops I can clean and prep the garden.
 
This year for the most part is prepping.  Being I'm maintaining this garden alone and can't get the equipment I need to help along, I'm using some methods that have worked for me in the past.  And that is the black plastic that you see in the photo.  It will slowly kill off the grass and weeds.  And as time allows I will be digging up each section.  Mostly the sections towards the top of the photo.
 
Other interesting items I will be adding to this garden will be several arbors made of old wooden doors, garden features using old chairs, wash tubs and milk cans.  I currently have 3 birdhouses which have been in use for about 3 years now.  I will be adding a bird bath, a water puddle for the butterflies and hummingbird and bird feeders.
 
Every week I will keep you up to date on my progress.  It will be a slow and steady progression, but in the end it will look marvelous!
 
Quote for the week.............
My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view.                       ~H. Fred Dale
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, suggestion or advice. Happy Gardening!!